Peer Pitch & Concept Refinement Chart

CATEGORY

DETAILS

Film OR Magazine

Magazine

Genre

Special interest

        Animal & pet magazines

                  Dogs

Target Audience (Be specific)

Dog owners

        Age not large factor

 

What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard)

My concept is a special interest magazine that revolves around dogs. Specifically, my magazine will be about dog behavior problems and how to solve them in a calm and logical manner. While many magazines based around dogs have countless bright and gigantic photos taking up the whole page while using a conversational tone, my magazine will have far fewer photos, though it will still contain some relevant ones. and a focus on information. The text will be as quick and to the point as I can make it, while still including plenty of useful information. The information, while it may incorporate personal experience at times, will be expert based opinions and beliefs. The article I currently have in mind will talk about how to keep control of your dog and how to get him or her back in the house after running out the door. The cover and logo will be distinct from the typical ones, I've considered making it appear more cartoonish or black and white. The title for the magazine will be one that is more humorous in order to attract attention from potential buyers. While this magazine may not seem like a good idea to some, statistics from multiple organizations, including The American Pet Products Association, state that in recent years, the number of households with dogs has increased. The amount of dog-related products being bought has increased as well, and there have been plenty of magazines that have benefitted from this trend.

How did you conceive the idea for this concept?

I conceived of this concept due to my dislike of people and my constant worry that my dog will break through our fence and get outside our home.

What do you believe is unique about your concept?

I believe that my concept is unique because I intend to have a primary focus on information with minimal unnecessary photos. This is unique because, while there are many magazines like this, often those in regard to dogs have a vast amount of unneeded photos and wording.

Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience?

Many dog magazines focus on bright pictures and a conversation tone, while my magazine will have less-distracting images and more text that gets straight to the point in order to help people with their dog-related problems 

FEEDBACK RECEIVED                 FROM PEERS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Find ways to make it more sustainable 

Humorous title, Ex: BadDog 

Mix humor with information 

Find unique way to brand 

Talk about big dog v little dog 

 

          For my concept refinement, the feedback I received helped me to realize that, while I had a specific vision for a magazine that minimized images and removed unnecessary information, such a thing would be difficult to keep sustainable. My peers have helped improve upon my vision, as I now see that I need to make changes to my idea, such as including a humorous title, unique cover and logo design, and that I need to include more than just behavioral problems in my magazine. This relates to a 2020 article by Camille T. Dungy, "The Abundance, Joy, Beauty, Persistence, Power, and Potential of Independent Publishing: A CONVERSATION WITH SIX BLACK EDITORS." In it, Dungy goes over the importance of standing out with your work, and this certainly relates to the advice my peers gave. 

        It's understandable to wonder, despite the improvements I have made on my idea, if my idea could become a real magazine. These worries are alleviated by the data I've found from several sources. Statistics from The Ovid Bell Press in a 2020 article state that there are many ways for my magazine to flourish, such as mega-bundling or custom bundling. Another organization, Wood Wing, has a 2019 article from specialist copywriter, Nick Bezuidenhout, which states that many magazines are thriving, even from niche groups. Another statistic shows that even new writers can thrive in this digital age, even if they may have suffered at first. Dungy's article also relates here, as it demonstrates that many unknown writers can be become well-known, even if the article is unrelated to magazines specifically. As such, I believe that my concept is possible, any faults present will be from the execution, not the idea in itself.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creativity & Genre

Post - Production 1 "More Photos and Colored Pages"