Decision Day
My initial impression of Premier Pro is not a very
pleasant one. While I did find the application to be interesting, I had a
difficulty understanding the application, and as a result, I do not feel this
would allow me to help me deliver my “story.” While using the application, I
did notice some features that could prove quite useful to me, such as transition
effects, but I have a difficulty understanding how to use these to construct
my narrative, as Wayne Cherry talks about in his article, "Our Place in the Universe: The Importance of Story and Storytelling in the Classroom". If I took the time to
learn how to use the application properly, I would certainly find many tools to
assist me in my “storytelling,” but I am more familiar with InDesign, and as
such, the time required to effectively learn how to use it is far less. I also
find that tutorials regarding InDesign are much easier for me to comprehend
than those regarding Premier Pro, such as the one I watched in class. Adding all
of this up means that I would be far more restricted if I were to use Premier
Pro, and I know that if I want to make a quality product, I can not make a
movie clip using Premier Pro, I would instead have to use InDesign to create a
magazine. Overall for InDesign, I found the program to be more simple than that of Premier Pro, and the tools in it would therefore make it easier for me to use the program. An example of this is the effects panel, which could allow me to improve the quality of my images or to emphasize a certain image over another. This would allow for my work to potentially stand out amongst others as well.
While my initial impression of Premier Pro was not the
best, I definitely had a good impression of InDesign. I am already used to this
application, as such, I feel that I will be able to create a far better product
using it. Wayne Cherry talks about how we all have stories to tell, and that we
just need the platforms to tell these stories, I believe this is true, and
using InDesign, I will be able to create a quality product. The application is specifically
designed to be used for magazines and similar literature materials. Given that
I can work with the pages panel to create an effective layout for a magazine,
and I can use the photo manipulation tools available to improve the quality of
my photos, I will receive plenty of assistance in creating a magazine.
Given my impressions of the two applications, I believe
it is quite clear that I intend on using InDesign to create a magazine for my
portfolio submission. Not only is InDesign much easier for me to understand,
but I have also decided that based on the articles I have read, the movie clips
I have viewed, and the magazines I have gone over, the magazine would be the
best choice for me. One such article which has convinced me to work on the
magazine comes from Joey Franklin. In his article, "Survival of the fittest: four editors on the future of literary magazines," readers can go over how
magazines have been forced to adapt to certain circumstances, and whether
adapting is even necessary in some cases. This piqued my interest far more than
anything about movie clips, as I naturally prefer to write. Given that InDesign will allow for this, it seems quite clear that I will be best able to convey either a message or some story through the use of the magazine and therefore InDesign, while the film and therefore Premier Pro would be too complicated for me and decrease my likelihood of developing a good product. Considering all of
this, I believe that the magazine will be far easier, more enjoyable, and more rewarding
for me to create.
Comments
Post a Comment